Simp-Drive®: The Decanter Drive
Simp-Drive® regulates the differential speed between the decanter bowl and decanter scroll depending on the prevailing scroll torque. The differential speed determines the length of time the solid remains in the bowl, and thus has a significant influence on the separation process. The bowl speed and differential speed can be adjusted independently of one another during ongoing operation. This is guaranteed by a special transmission mechanism of Simp-Drive® (special planetary epicyclic gear unit).
The Flottweg Simp-Drive® function
The gear unit input shaft is driven by a variable speed motor which means the rotation speed can be adjusted optimally. Another motor (variable-speed) drives the decanter bowl, making it possible to overcome the mass moment of inertia without difficulty and regulating the bowl speed according to requirements.
Changes in the feed have an effect on the scroll torque, because the scroll has to transport different quantities of solid and different loadings thus arise. This means it is necessary to adjust the differential speed continuously, because only in this way is it possible to achieve a consistently high quality in the output solid.
Inexpensive drive for decanters with a very wide range of applications for challenging separation tasks in which it is necessary for the operating parameters to be adjusted continuously.
Simp-Drive: Overview of the advantages and customer benefits
- High efficiency due to consistently high dry substance value (DS = the higher this value, the dryer the separated solid)
- High throughput performance due to high bowl speed and precisely adjusted differential speed
- Simple display and regulation of the scroll torque including overload protection
- The scroll speed and differential speed can be controlled easily, because they are independent from one another
- Simp-Drive® for a broad range of applications in which continuous adaptation of the operating parameters is required
- High flexibility in selection of the operating speed
- Machine can be cleared out even at a standstill, because the scroll can nevertheless still be turned (no need to dismantle system components)
- Simp-Drive® was developed at Flottweg back in 1994. This means we have a level of experience that our competitors have not yet attained and emphasises our unique selling points in decanter drives
- The belt drive used means the maintenance costs are low (easy and quick to replace, no lubrication), better damping than with gears for example, low weight and the ability to run at higher speeds